AUGUST 31, 2008
Published 12:00 am Sunday, August 31, 2008
Photos included in the 1938 annual report of the staff of Vicksburg Sanitarium, a hospital operated by the Street family at Crawford and Monroe streets, showed the outside of the building, above; a patient’s room, below left; and an operating room. The business eventually was operated by the Religious Sisters of Mercy at Mercy Hospital on Grove Street, and The Street Clinic is operated today on McCauley Drive at Grove by River Region Health Sytems. The downtown building was used for decades as a nursing home, known as the Sydney Building, and the vacant building was consumed by fire in the mid-1990s. Crawford Street United Methodist Church later bought the building and since has built an activity center on the site. The photos were contributed by Charles Riles of Vicksburg.
Historic photos taken in and around Vicksburg are featured on Sundays in The Vicksburg Post. Many of the photos are from the J. Mack Moore Collection at the Old Court House Museum. Though not all photos were taken by Mr. Moore, they are part of the collection given to the museum by longtime Vicksburg Post managing editor Charles J. Faulk. Appropriate photos from the public will also be accepted and published. To submit a photo, contact Karen Gamble at 601-636-4545.