Published 12:00 am Wednesday, October 22, 2008
* Firefighter Robert Byrd of the Claiborne County Fire Department has graduated from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1001 firefighter course held at the Mississippi State Fire Academy in Jackson. The six-week course included classroom and practical instruction in the areas of fire behavior, fire suppression, rescue, incident command and hazardous materials.
* Fenly Akers of Vicksburg and Aubrey R. Miller of Madison have been selected as maids for the 2008 Homecoming at Mississippi State University. Akers, representing the freshmen class, and Miller, representing the junior class, will be presented Saturday with other class maids during halftime of the MSU-Middle Tennessee State University football game at Davis Wade Stadium. Akers, a communication/public relations major, is the daughter of Thomas and Lynda Akers of Vicksburg. Miller, a clinical exercise physiology major, is the daughter of Kristina Miller of Madison and Michael Miller of Vicksburg.
Email newsletter signup
* Ann Avery Burrell was selected to participate in the 2008 session of Mississippi Governor’s School residential honors program for academically talented high school students at Mississippi University for Women. A junior at St. Andrew’s Episcopal School in Ridgeland, she is the daughter of Virginia and Jack Burrell of Vicksburg. She serves as captain of the swim team and is a member of the National Honor Society, dance team, student admissions team, Quiz Bowl and Students Taking Action in Darfur.
* Jonathan Crabtree of Vicksburg is a member of the 2008-09 Wall O’ Sound Marching Band at East Central Community College in Decatur. He is a graduate of Warren Central High School.
* Alezandra Tolliver has been selected to attend the 2008-09 People-to-People Student Ambassador Program. She is a sophomore at Vicksburg High School.
Warren Central High School Homecoming — Parade, 4 p.m. Oct. 23, downtown Vicksburg.
St. Aloysius High School Homecoming — Parade, 5 p.m. Oct. 23, downtown Vicksburg.
D.A.D.S. Initiative for Fathers — Dads Are Doing Something rally to educate fathers on being more involved in children’s education; 8 a.m. Oct. 30, Vicksburg Junior High School; no charge; Karen Frederick, 601-618-0429, or Walter Beamon, 601-631-0102.
Redwood Turkey Shoot & Fall Festival — Nov. 1, Redwood Elementary; turkey shoot, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.; fall festival with carnival booths, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.; Kim Newcomb, 601-218-1012.