‘Soles for Souls’ raises funds, helps all involved
Published 12:00 am Sunday, February 8, 2009
It’s the kind of idea from which everyone benefits.
For the rest of this month, the Salvation Army Women’s Auxiliary of Vicksburg is collecting old shoes, with strong preference for those with plenty of wear left. They call it “Soles for Souls.”
* Donors will benefit from more orderly closets.
Email newsletter signup
* The Auxiliary will benefit from the 50 cents per pound it will receive from a recycler.
* People who need shoes will benefit because those in good-enough shape will be shipped to centers of poverty worldwide.
* Salvation Army clients will benefit because money raised will be used to fund the services they receive from one of the largest, oldest and most effective Christian charities in the world.
* Even the environment will benefit because the old shoes won’t be going to landfills.
The goal is 40,000 pounds of shoes. That’s a lot, but not unreasonable.
Collection points are at all Vicksburg and Warren County public and parochial schools, many local churches, The Vicksburg Post lobby and the Salvation Army Thrift Store on Mission 66.