Published 12:00 am Sunday, February 22, 2009

When A.B. Reading built this house on Openwood Street in the 1830s, it was called Reading’s Folly because of its size. It later was bought by the city and used as a hospital. The Confederates and the Yankees also used it during and after the siege. It later became a state hospital and, in the 1970s, became known as Kuhn Memorial Hospital. To the right is the Confederate annex, which burned in 1918, and was used for Confederate veterans. The photo is from the Old Court House Museum collection.

Historic photos taken in and around Vicksburg are featured on Sundays in The Vicksburg Post. Many of the photos are from the J. Mack Moore Collection at the Old Court House Museum. Though not all photos were taken by Mr. Moore, they are part of the collection given to the museum by longtime Vicksburg Post managing editor Charles J. Faulk. Appropriate photos from the public will also be accepted and published. To submit a photo, contact Karen Gamble at 636-4545.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month