Murder suspect Nash could learn his fate in circuit court today

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Two of four brothers charged in the 2007 revenge slaying of a Vicksburg man are in prison for life, and a third could find out today if his fate will be the same.

Jurors in the second murder trial of Matthew Nash, 30, were expected to begin deliberating this morning after a day of testimony Tuesday. The trial, which got under way with jury selection Monday, follows a mistrial in June after jurors could not agree on a verdict.

Nash, his half-brother Anthony Trevillion and stepbrothers Alonzo Trevillion and Armond Trevillion, were arrested after Justin Maurice Harris was shot to death on June 17, 2007. Wounds included multiple rounds from an AK-47 and one blast from a 12-gauge shotgun.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month

Nash was the single defense witness Tuesday. He told the court he knew Anthony Trevillion was angry at Harris but had no idea his brothers had the guns when they went to confront Harris. He said his brothers were behind him as they walked up Grammar Street and that he was leading the way in order to try to make peace between his brother and Harris, who was Nash’s second cousin.

When shots were fired into the home at 1224 Grammar, Nash said he ran and did not know until he was arrested later than day that Harris had been killed.

Anthony Trevillion, 31, was convicted in April of murder, shooting into an occupied dwelling, two counts of aggravated assault and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Armond Trevillion, 28, was convicted of the same crimes in December. Both were sentenced to life in prison on the murder charge, plus 53 years for the other crimes.

A fifth man, Rufus Armstrong, 32, has also been charged. Trial dates for Armstrong and Alonzo Trevillion have not yet been set.

The family relationships extend also to Nash and Armstrong, who are cousins.

The jury of six men and six women, with a man and a woman as alternates, was sworn in Monday by Warren County Circuit Judge Frank Vollor and sequestered for the duration of the trial.

In other testimony Tuesday, witnesses for the prosecution said the shooting, which took place around 3 a.m. followed an argument earlier in the evening between Harris and Anthony Trevillion at what was then called the New New Orleans Cafe but is also known as the Biscuit Company, at China and Washington streets.

Harris and Anthony Trevillion had children by the same woman, over whom the fight was said to have been sparked.

Assistant District Attorney Dewey Arthur also called to the stand investigating officer Sgt. Sandra Williams, former state pathologist Dr. Steven Hayne, who performed the autopsy, and witnesses who were at Harris’ home during the shooting.

Arthur and defense attorney Eugene Perrier of Vicksburg were expected to give closing arguments this morning.

A murder conviction would carry an automatic life sentence for Nash, a Port Gibson native who moved to Vicksburg in 1998. He has been in the Warren County Jail since his arrest, but lived at the time at 1312 China St.


Contact Pamela Hitchins at