Vicksburg Board of Mayor and Alderman
Published 12:00 am Tuesday, August 18, 2009
Meeting Monday, the Vicksburg Board of Mayor and Aldermen:
• Adopted minutes from July 20.
• Received bids for landscape supplies from Faulk’s Farm and Garden Shop., The Flower Center and Watkins Nursery, all of Vicksburg.
Email newsletter signup
• Received no bids for traffic signal components, and authorized the city clerk to re-advertise.
• Accepted a recommendation from Brumfield and Associates Architecture to award a contract for construction of a new T-hangar at the Vicksburg Municipal Airport to Fordice Construction Company. The board tabled awarding the bid last week due to a question about Fordice’s bid, $804,300, which had “reduce bid price by $50,000” on the envelope. Airport manager Curt Follmer told the board it was determined the bid reduction notice was acceptable, which brought the bid to the lowest of three. The board stated it nonetheless needed more information before awarding the bid.
• Held a public hearing on renewing the downtown Main Street taxing district.
• OK’d a grant application to the U.S. Department of Transportation’s American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 TIGER Discretionary Grant Program.
• Granted tax abatement to 1509 Washington St., owned by Riverbend Development.
• Granted a 60-day extension to Beverly Thompson, owner of property at 150 Openwood Lane, to remove a dilapidated structure and inoperable vehicles.
• Approved a request from the St. Aloysius A-Club football program for a $165 advertisement.
In closed session, the board:
• Accepted one resignation in the sewer department.
• Approved terminating 42 part-time, summer employees: 39 in the recreation department, and one in each the Main Street, community service and accounting departments.
The board is scheduled to meet again at 10 a.m. Aug. 25 in room 109 of the City Hall Annex, 1415 Walnut St.