Published 12:00 am Wednesday, September 23, 2009
A sampling of what’s available in the Vicksburg area. To submit an item, call 601-636-4545, ext. 179, or e-mail email@example.com.
• Vicksburg Boys and Girls Club — 2:30-6 p.m. Monday-Thursday, Vicksburg Junior High; free, open to grades 7-8; math, science, English and history, plus recreational time; Billy Foster, 601-415-9424.
Email newsletter signup
• Kings Community Empowerment Center — 3:30-5:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday; open to K-12; $20 per student per month, up to $30 per month for three students in one family; 601-634-4756 or 601-634-4788 to register.
• Saturday Science Academy — Three times a month during 2009-10 school year; open to fifth-graders in Claiborne and Jefferson counties; sponsored by Alcorn State University; space limited; 601-877-6119.
Arts & recreation
• The Art of Ballet — 4-5 p.m. Mondays through Dec. 14; Southern Cultural Heritage Center; $5 per child per class or $60 per child for all 13 classes; open to ages 6-10; Andrea Tower of Cypress Pilates, instructor; 601-631-2997.
• Art at Heart — Through end of school year; open to all grades; $35 registration fee, $50 per student for small groups or $100 private lessons; studio at 900 West Pine St., Suite 6; Lisa Grant: 601-638-0677, 601-415-9592 or www.artatheart.webs.com.
• Debra Franco Preparatory School of Dance — Ballet, tap, jazz, acrobatics, lyrical and hip-hop classes for ages 3 and older; to register: 601-638-7282.
• Jackson Street Community Center — Youth play; 3-6 p.m. daily; 601-631-3723.
• YMCA Prime Time — 2:50-6 p.m. each school day; space available at Sherman Avenue Elementary School; sponsored by YMCA, United Way; register at Purks YMCA off East Clay Street; $35 a week for YMCA members, $45 for nonmembers, $20 registration fee; enrollment limited; 601-638-1071.
• Teresa George School of Dance — Hip-hop classes for fifth-graders and older; begin Oct. 6; to register: 601-415-0574.
• YMCA Youth Football and Cheerleading — Begins Monday; call 601-638-1071 for dates, fees.
• Pee Wee Workout — 3:30-4:30 p.m. each Tuesday at Southern Cultural Heritage Center: fitness, games, and health and safety education for ages 3-6; 15 children per class; $10; drop in or call to reserve a spot, 601-415-2085; www.peewee-workout.com.
• Cardiac Kids Fitness — 3:30-4:30 p.m. each Wednesday at Southern Cultural Heritage Center; fitness, games, and health and safety education for ages 7-12; 15 children per class; $10; drop in or call to reserve a spot, 601-415-2085; www.peewee-workout.com.