Anthony Trevillion’s murder conviction upheld

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Mississippi Court of Appeals has upheld the April 2008 murder conviction of Anthony Trevillion, one of four Vicksburg brothers charged in the shooting death of Justin Maurice Harris on June 17, 2007.

Two of his brothers, Armond Trevillion and Matthew Nash, have also been convicted of Harris’ murder and are serving life sentences. Another brother, Alonzo Trevillion, is scheduled for trial in Warren County Circuit Court Dec. 7, and a cousin, Rufus Armstrong, has also been charged in the crime. All five were indicted by the grand jury in January 2008.

Anthony Trevillion, 31, filed his appeal on the grounds that then-Judge Frank Vollor erred in excusing two potential jurors because they had served on a jury within the previous two years.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month

The appeals judges ruled that the exclusion of one of the potential jurors was “harmless error,” since the court record showed that the man was willing to serve. No error was made in excusing the other juror, the court said.

In addition, the defense did not object at the time the jury was seated, therefore the defendant “waive(d) the right to raise this issue for the first time on appeal.”

Harris was shot at his home at 1224 Grammar St. around 3 a.m. Police said more than 20 rounds from an AK47 assault rifle and one shotgun blast were fired into the home, where two other men were present.

The assault occurred after Anthony Trevillion and Harris had an angry confrontation at a downtown bar, the New New Orleans Cafe, over a woman by whom both men had children.

In addition, the jury convicted Anthony Trevillion of shooting into an occupied dwelling, two counts of aggravated assault and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Vollor sentenced him to 53 years in prison concurrent with the life sentence for murder.

Armond Trevillion was found guilty Dec. 3. Matthew Nash’s first trial ended in a hung jury June 25, 2008. He was convicted in a retrial Feb. 25.