FEBRUARY 14, 2010

Published 12:00 am Sunday, February 14, 2010

Taken about 1860, this ambrotype photo is the oldest known one of the Old Court House, then a new building, painted white and dominating the skyline. Other buildings have not been identified. The Court House, the second on the site, was completed in October 1860. Terracing the hill was not done until after the War Between the States. This photo is from the Old Court House Museum collection.

Historic photos taken in and around Vicksburg are featured on Sundays in The Vicksburg Post. Many of the photos are from the J. Mack Moore Collection at the Old Court House Museum. Though not all photos were taken by Mr. Moore, they are part of the collection given to the museum by longtime Vicksburg Post managing editor Charles J. Faulk. Appropriate photos from the public will also be accepted and published. To submit a photo, contact Karen Gamble at 636-4545.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month