ERDC hands out awards
Published 12:01 am Sunday, May 23, 2010
Employees of the U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center have received awards in 17 categories.
The honors, announced May 13 in a ceremony at Vicksburg Convention Center are:
• Gallery of Distinguished Civilian Employees — Dr. Mark Dortch, Norman Francingues and Dr. Bill Willoughby.
Email newsletter signup
• Army Meritorious Civilian Service Award — Dr. Larry Lynch.
• Army Superior Civilian Service Award — Nick Boone, Charles Ertle, Dr. Elaine Hulitt, Pam Kinnebrew, Dennis Moore, Ray Moxley, Dr. Photios Papados, Dr. Toy Poole, Denis Rickman, Jason Roth, Dr. Tom Slawson, Ron Wahl and Robert Walker.
• 2009 Women of Color — Cynthia Banks, Special Recognition Award; and Vicky Moore, Technology Rising Star Award.
• 2009 Army Research and Development Achievement — Dr. John Peters, who contributed to the understanding of the engineering behavior of granular media material; Dr. Steve Larson and Dr. Kent Newman, who researched the biostabilization of soil; Josh Fairley, Dr. Stacy Howington, Dr. John Peters, Jerry Ballard and Dr. Owen Eslinger, who developed technology that models, measures and mitigates effects of the geo-environment on mines and improvised explosive device detection sensors; Dr. Kurt Gust, who contributed to the understanding and assessment of the effects of RDX on the Northern Bobwhite; and Dr. David Gent, Dr. Steve Larson, Debbie Felt and Jared Johnson, who developed technology that allows the removal of RDX discharge from industrial water.
• Research and Development — Jay Ehrgott, Dr. Steve Akers, Denis Rickman and Tim Shelton, who developed innovative wall-breaching methods for use by soldiers; Dr. Mihan McKenna, Sarah McComas and Henry Diaz-Alvarez, who developed technologies to monitor remotely the modal behavior of structures; Dr. Carina Jung, Dr. Karl Indest and Dr. Fiona Crocker, who demonstrated successfully horizontal gene transfer; Henry Diaz-Alvarez, who developed the Innovative Thermoplastic Composite Bridge Design; Kelly Burks-Copes, Tisa Webb, Scott Bourne and Mark Graves, who developed ecosystem restoration modeling products; Dr. Fran Hill, who developed models that enhance the quality of water vulnerability assessments of military installations; Robert Hunter, Dr. Ruth Cheng, Dr. Pearce Cheng and Dr. Jerry Lin, who developed an ocean watershed model; James Stinson, Dr. Rob Wallace and Michael Stewart, who developed visualization techniques using Animate KMZ and a Google Earth environment; Dr. Patricia Dalyander and Dr. Carl Cerco, who developed a method for ecological forecasting; Amanda Hines, Dr. Owen Eslinger, Barry White, Dr. Jeff Hensley, Dr. Stacy Howington, Dr. Christopher Kees, Dr. Pearce Cheng and Dr. Matt Farthing, who developed the Computational Model Builder; Dr. David Smith and Dr. Jeff Allen, who developed and deployed computational methods that allow the representation of aquatic habitat features; Dr. Afrachanna Butler, Dr. Steve Larson, Dr. Victor Medina and Chris Griggs, who developed an engineering berm and range floor lysimeter plant system; and Matt Hossley, who led an ERDC team in the execution of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) Office of Homeland Security Civil Infrastructure Protection and Resiliency Program.
• Program Development Achievement — Dr. Stan Woodson, James Ray, Dr. Beverly DiPaolo, Bradley Foust, Dr. Jim O’Daniel and Wipawi Vanadit-Ellis, who developed the Homeland Security Infrastructure Protection Research and Development Program.
• Excellence in Operational Support — Bruce Barker, Dr. Alfred Bogen, Tony Brogdon, Tommy Carr, Dan Carr, Chris Lunderman, Tim Nisley, Dr. Guillermo Riveros, Michael Stasny, Mac Brown, Charles Hearn and Jonathan Wilkinson, who provided operational support to the USACE Portland District; Ronnie Hedgepeth, who served as project manager of the U.S. Army Program Executive Office Transportation Information System; and Carol Johnson, Pam Kinnebrew, Bart Durst, James Davis, Alex Jackson, Howard McGee, Ricky Magee and Lonnie Smith, who designed the Joint Combat Outpost Quick Reaction Test.
• Outstanding Achievement in Technology Transfer — Michelle Thompson, Dr. Steve Larson and Andy Martin, who developed the Passive Reactive Berm technology; Matthew Bailey, Jason Hollingsworth, Allyson Windham, Michael Stewart, David Stuart, Robert Walker, Dr. Rob Wallace, Krissa Rowland, James Stinson and Jose Sanchez, who were members of the Google Earth Applications Research Development Team; Dr. Paul Schroeder, Dr. Trudy Estes, Daniel Averett and Dr. Todd Bridges, who developed an environmental dredging and sediment remediation guidance document.
• Outstanding Team Effort — Charlie Randall, Ashley Manning, Jerry Ballard, Carla Roig-Silva, Dr. Ernest Berney, Tommy Berry, Elizabeth Lord, Wes Johnson and Laurin Yates, who collected data regarding atmosphere, surface profile and soil mineralogy of two distinct testing areas; Dr. Kevin Abraham, Bruce Barker, Tony Brogdon, Dr. Bob Ebeling, Cliff Grey, Rick Haskins, Chris Lunderman, Abdul Mohamed, Terry Warren, Barry White, Jim Clausner and Terry Walker, who advanced the understanding of barge-lock-wall collisions; Dr. Lisa Hubbard, Freddie Pinkard, Charlie Little, Ron Heath, Jeremy Sharp, Peggy Myrick, Gary Brown, Keith Martin, Dr. Phu Luong, Ben Brown, Pat McKinney, Thad Pratt, Terry Waller, Mike Tubman, William Butler, David Perkey, Christopher Callegan, Mike Kirklin and John Bull, who developed the West Bay Sediment Diversion Study; and Jeb Tingle, Lucy Priddy, Jonathon Griffin, Micael Edwards, Tim McCaffrey, Chase Bradley, Jay Rowland and Blake Andrews, who planned and executed the Critical Runway Assessment and Repair Joint Capability Technology Demonstrations and live-flight certification tests.
• Administrative Support Achievement Award — Vince Durman Jr., Traci Hoofman and Carla Koestler, all of the Contracting Office; and Mary Gaines of the Geotechnical and Structures Laboratory.
• Supervisor of the Year — Hank McDevitt.
• Outstanding Achievement in Equal Employment Opportunity — Evelyn Villanueva.
• Herbert D. Vogel awards — Rae Eikert, administrator; Joe Lyons, craftsman; Greg Rottman, engineer; Dr. Owen Eslinger and Dr. Chuck Weiss, scientists; and Howard McGee, technician.
• Commander’s Award for Civilian Service — Becky Berger, Tommy Berry, Dr. Gary Dick, John Marshall, Dr. Mihan McKenna, Dr. Barry Payne, Susan Slaton, David Stuart and Dr. Johannes Wibowo.
• Achievement Medal for Civilian Service — Chris Ables, Janice Allen-Flowers, Bernice Bass, Henry Battaglia, Alex Baylot, Dr. Tony Bednar, Jacob Berkowitz, Jerry Boutwell, Gary Brown, Edith Caples, Fulton Carson, Angela Carter, Dr. Mei Chandler, Cecilia Cole, Richard Cooper, Dr. Lynn Copeland, Christopher Cummins, Belton Dent, Kimberly Dowe, Roosevelt Felix, Lester Flowers, John Furey, Hal Gates, Carlos Gonzalez, Kathy Grant, Jonathon Griffin, Babs Hearn, Dr. Fran Hill, Dr. Lisa Hubbard, Michelle Jarvis, Sarah Jersey, Terry Jobe, Darrell Johnson, Vicky Johnston, Raju Kala, Julie Kelley, Dr. Joe Letter, Dr. Lihwa Lin, Dr. Igor Linkov, Elizabeth Lord, Dr. Guilherme Lotufo, Ricky Magee, Shannon Marshall, Keith Martin, Dr. George Mason, Tate McAlphin, Bernie McKinley, Mariely Mejias-Santiago, Henrietta Miller, Wes Moceaux, Speler Montgomery, Dr. Andy Morang, John Morgan, Warren Neiden, Dr. Jim O’Daniel, Lynette O’Neal, Linda Ragan, Stephen Robert, Julie Rosati, Donna Rowland, Krissa Rowland, Dr. Mike Sharp, Dr. Steven Sloan, Stanley Smith, Jamie Stevens, Michael Stewart, Pat Sullivan, Melvin Sykes, Jennifer Tate, Mary Taylor, Linda Thomas, Mazella Thomas, Shelley Tingle, Brent Towne, Kathy Trest, Alisha Verzwyvelt, Tim Welp, Erin Williams, Maxine Wilson and Sally Yost.
• Certificate of Appreciation for Patriotic Service — Dr. Ernest Berney.
Also, ERDC employees who have served 30, 35 and 40 years received Length of Service Recognition.
Employees who have deployed overseas within the last year also received honors.