Felon out on bond charged with gun possession

Published 11:44 pm Saturday, January 28, 2012

A convicted felon was back in jail Saturday night accused of possession of a weapon by a convicted felon.

Vicksburg police Capt. Bobby Stewart said officers arrested Albert Brisco Jr., 23, 900 Wabash Ave., about 1:21 p.m. Saturday after they found a .357 Magnum revolver on the back floor of his car during a traffic stop at Confederate Avenue and Halls Ferry Road for a seat belt violation. He was in the Issaquena County Jail Saturday night without bond.

District Attorney Ricky Smith said a Warren County grand jury in October indicted Brisco for manslaughter in the Feb. 20 death of Latoshia Haggan, 31. He said Brisco was released on $75,000 bond after his arraignment, which was earlier this month.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month

Haggan was killed when Brisco, driving her Dodge Durango, sped through a roadblock set up by Warren County deputies, careened off a hill near Old Highway 27 and North Frontage Road and landed on Kansas City Southern Railway tracks.

Brisco and two passengers, Nicholas M. Smith and Jerome M. Massey, were taken to River Region Medical Center. Brisco was taken to a Jackson hospital.

Brisco, who was on parole for a 2007 burglary conviction at the time of the accident, was charged after the accident with possession of a weapon by a convicted felon after a .25-caliber handgun was found in the car. He was returned to prison to complete his sentence.

Smith said Brisco was not charged with manslaughter immediately after the accident because authorities were waiting for an accident reconstruction report by the Mississippi Highway Safety Patrol.

Brisco pleaded guilty in August 2007 in Warren County Circuit Court to residential burglary and received a suspended six-year sentence on the condition he complete the Drug Court program. The sentence was revoked and he went to prison in 2008. The reason for the revocation was not clear.