No headline provided
Published 11:24 am Friday, March 9, 2012
A 6-year-old girl and her mother were in critical condition at different hospitals this morning following a fire at their home off U.S. 61 South Thursday night, fire Chief Charles Atkins said.
Natasha Robertson and her mother, Betty Robertson, 39, were injured in the blaze at 523 Hall Road, reported about 7 p.m., Atkins said.
Both were taken to River Region Medical Center, and Natasha was flown to the Blair E. Batson Hospital for Children at University Medical Center in Jackson, where spokesman Peggy Wagner confirmed her condition this morning.
Email newsletter signup
Betty Robertson was transferred to Crossgates River Oaks Hospital in Brandon, where she was critical but stable this morning, a spokesman said.
“When we got there, it was reported that no one was in the home,” said Atkins. “(Firemen) knocked the fire down pretty quickly and then they found the victims.”
Firefighters stayed at the mobile home until about 9:30, he said. No other injuries were reported.
“We are not sure but we think the fire started in the kitchen area around the stove,” he said.