City man will be tried for slaying in Kings
Published 11:29 pm Friday, May 18, 2012
A Vicksburg man will stand trial for murder in April for the shooting death of a 20-year-old man in Kings.
Rondell Galvin, 21, 209 Overlook Drive, appeared before Circuit Court Judge Isadore Patrick Friday to be arraigned after an indictment by the Warren County grand jury for murder in the July 15 shooting death of William Jones Jr., 20, 280 Curry St.
Galvin entered a plea of not guilty and is represented by Jackson attorney Chokwe Antar Lumumba.
Email newsletter signup
Since July 16, Galvin has been out on $250,000 bail. If convicted by a jury, he could be sentenced to life in prison.
Galvin is accused of shooting Jones in the front yard of his Curry Street home about 2:15 a.m. July 15. Jones’ body was found on the lawn of the home by his family after they heard gunshots outside.
About $120 and a cell phone were missing after Jones’ death, according to court documents.
Jones and Galvin had been arguing earlier in the night after Jones asked Galvin to turn down his car stereo, according to court documents. A car belonging to Galvin’s stepfather was seen on Curry shortly before the shooting, witnesses told police.
Following the shooting, a witness reported seeing Galvin running near his home and hiding something under a storage shed. Police found a .410 Taurus five-shot revolver under the shed, according to court documents.
Other indictments, including name, age, address, the charge and arrest dates, released by the DA’s office following arraignments Friday are:
• Benjamin Brewer, 31, 1105 Freetown Road — possession of a controlled substance, Jan. 12.
• Albert Brisco, 24, 900 Wabash St. — possession of a weapon after felony conviction, Jan. 28.
• Shaniqua Brown, 28, 734 Locust St. — sale of a controlled substance, Feb. 12.
• Mark Carver Jr., 25, 162 Elizabeth Circle — six counts of burglary of a dwelling, July 12.
• Antonio Curtis, 20, 1614 South St. — two counts of attempted armed robbery, aggravated assault, attempted aggravated assault with extreme indifference, Sept. 29.
• Jayvin Davenport, 18, 607 Florence Ave. — two counts of attempted armed robbery, aggravated assault, attempted aggravated assault with extreme indifference, Sept. 29.
• Eddie Lee Harrison, 28, 1203 Second North St. — three counts of vehicle burglary, Aug. 1.
• Edester Sims, 35, 3214 1/2 Washington St. — possession of a controlled substance, Dec. 21.