You can make a do-it-yourself move less daunting, even if you’re not accustomed to regularly driving a truck, if you follow a few ease-of-mind tips on trucks from the experts at Penske Truck Rental.
Published 6:44 am Wednesday, June 20, 2012
(NAPSI)—You can make a do-it-yourself move less daunting, even if you’re not accustomed to regularly driving a truck, if you follow a few ease-of-mind tips on trucks from the experts at Penske Truck Rental:
1. Get Oriented. Familiarize yourself with the truck’s switches and gauges. Properly adjust the side mirrors for maximum visibility.
2. Plan to Have Plenty of Travel Time. Be mindful of rush hour traffic and plan accordingly.
Email newsletter signup
3. Beware of Blind Spots. Trucks have oversized blind spots known as the “No-Zone,” according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Be aware of these spots, especially when changing lanes or coming to a stop. For more information, visit www.sharetheroadsafely.org.
4. Be Careful What You Carry. Typically, truck rental agreements contain language from the U.S. Department of Transportation prohibiting the “carrying or hauling of explosives and other dangerous articles.” That means you should avoid packing flammable items such as paint, chemicals and cleaning materials, flammable solvents, propane, gasoline and the like. Your rental agent can clarify the list further for you.
5. Be Aware. “Trucks are taller, wider and may weigh up to 10 times more than the average car,” explained Don Mikes, senior vice president-rental, Penske Truck Leasing.
6. Get Extra Protection. “Most insurance and credit card companies won’t cover truck rentals under existing policies,” Mikes added. If your insurance company is among them, consider signing up for additional coverage options to protect yourself and your belongings. You may feel more confident knowing that his company offers free 24/7 emergency roadside assistance.
7. Learn More. You can find more moving facts and tips at www.PenskeTruckRental.com.
On the Net:North American Precis Syndicate, Inc.(NAPSI)