One dead, one injured in shooting near bar in Claiborne County

Published 11:29 am Monday, November 19, 2012

A man described as an “innocent bystander” when an argument broke out in Claiborne County during the weekend is dead, another man is injured and deputies have arrested one man and are looking for another.

Ivory Anderson, 38, formerly lived and worked in Claiborne County, Sheriff Marvin Lucas said, but no address was available for him early Saturday when he was gunned down outside Henry Lee’s Place on Bessie Weathers Road when at least two people started shooting at each other.

“He just came outside and never knew what was going on,” Lucas said. “He was an innocent bystander.”

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month

Claiborne County Coroner J.W. Mallett said Anderson died from a single gunshot wound to the right side of his torso. Mallett said an autopsy would be performed today.

A second man, James Evans, no address available, was wounded in the shooting. He was taken to Claiborne County Hospital, where he was treated and released, a spokesman said this morning.

Lucas said Anderson, the father of at least one daughter, previously worked in construction, but he wasn’t sure about employment at the time of death,

“He used to be a contractor,” Lucas said. “At one time, he worked with the county doing some subcontractor work.”

Lucas said no charges have been filed against the man who was being held while deputies continued to search for the second man. He declined to name either of the potential suspects.

Lucas said he is familiar with Henry Lee’s Place, off Old Rodney Road, west of Port Gibson.

“We’ve had problems out there before,” Lucas said. “They’ve had numerous shootings at this place.”

Anderson’s death is the first killing in Claiborne County since Lucas was elected sheriff in November 2011.

Arrangements were being handled by Thompson Funeral Home.