Christmas parade postponed until Dec. 10 because of expected bad weather Saturday
Published 5:50 pm Thursday, December 1, 2016
The Downtown Christmas Parade of Lights, originally scheduled for Saturday, has been postponed to Dec. 10.
Kim Hopkins, executive director of Main Street, said the Main Street board of directors made that decision after being updated on the expected inclement weather on Saturday.
John Elfer, director of Warren County Emergency Management, said we can expect a “cold, cold rain” on Saturday.
Email newsletter signup
“It should start sometime around mid-morning Saturday, when we have a 50 percent chance of rain. Then, Saturday night we have an 80 percent chance of rain,” Elfer said.
We can expect more of the same on Sunday, he said, with highs in the 50s and lows in the 40s.
On Monday, the threat of severe weather returns.
“It’s not going to be as bad as this latest storm, but we will have an elevated risk of severe weather on Monday,” Elfer said.
Other events scheduled for downtown today and Saturday will continue, Hopkins said in a press release. Those include:
- Vicksburg High School Acapella Christmas from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday at the Old Courthouse Museum, 1008 Cherry St.
- I’m Dreaming of a Cotton Christmas,” party by the Vicksburg Art Association beginning at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the Old Constitution Firehouse Gallery, 1204 Main St.
- McRaven Home Tours, 1445 Harrison St., at 7 and 8:30 p.m.
- Holly Days Arts and Crafts Show at the Southern Cultural Heritage Foundation, 1302 Adams St., on Saturday.
- The 12th Annual V105.5 Caroling Contest, which begins at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Vicksburg Convention Center, 1600 Mulberry St.
“We look forward to a magical evening and beautiful weather on Dec. 10 for the Downtown Vicksburg Christmas Parade of Lights,” Hopkins said.