Hobby Lobby staff responds quickly to electrical fire

Published 1:51 pm Tuesday, December 31, 2019

The quick response by staff at Vicksburg’s Hobby Lobby appears to have prevented a far worse situation Tuesday.

Around 9 a.m., multiple units with the Vicksburg Fire Department were dispatched to the Hobby Lobby location at the Vicksburg Mall on Pemberton Boulevard for a fire call.

Once they arrived, they found that a fire, which had started in a large electrical panel in the storeroom had been extinguished by someone on the store’s staff. Electricity was out at the store and the store’s personnel were outside of the building.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month

No one was reported injured in the incident.

“It could have been far, far worse,” Battalion Chief Henry Williams said. “But, when we got there, all we found was a lot of smoke.”

The store remained closed Tuesday as store officials worked to arrange repairs to the electrical panel and any other items damaged in the quick blaze.

The 54,000-square-foot Hobby Lobby location opened in the mall in 2014, replacing J.C. Penney.

About Tim Reeves

Tim Reeves, and his wife Stephanie, are the parents of three children, Sarah Cameron, Clayton and Fin, who all attend school in the Vicksburg Warren School District. The family are members of First Baptist Church Vicksburg. Tim is involved in a number of civic and volunteer organizations including the United Way of West Central Mississippi and serves on the City of Vicksburg's Riverfront Redevelopment Committee.

email author More by Tim