Ahead of hurricane, Waste Management cancels Saturday garbage service
Due to anticipated severe weather impacts associated with Hurricane Delta, Waste Management announced Thursday it will cancel all residential collection services in Warren County, scheduled for Saturday.
“As we prepare for the impacts of Hurricane Delta, we are working in connection with the guidance of local and state authorities. Therefore, Waste Management is suspending all residential waste collection services for Warren County residents this upcoming Saturday and closing our Transfer Station,” said Jim Funderburg, Sr. District Manager Waste Management of Vicksburg. “We appreciate the cooperation of our valued customers as we work through this severe weather event. We encourage residents to implement all prescribed safe practices as we approach this storm.”
Those customers who receive Saturday service will receive trash pickup on their next scheduled collection day, which is Wednesday, “weather road conditions permitting.”
Additionally, the Waste Management Transfer Station will be closed on Saturday and reopen Monday, Oct. 12th.
In addition to announcing the canceling of service for Saturday, Waste Management also offered tips on steps residents need to take ahead of the storm and after the storm.
Before the storm:
- Secure garbage and trash containers. Place empty containers in a secure location away from open spaces.
- Stop all yard maintenance and tree trimming activities when there is a named storm with a predicted landfall.
- Bundle and tie down all loose trash such as tree limbs, wood planks or building and roof tiles. Place these materials in a location where debris cannot become hazardous to homes or automobiles in high winds.
After the storm:
- Place normal household garbage and trash, such as food refuse, diapers and regular household waste at curbside and separate from storm debris.
- Storm debris, including tree limbs, carpet and carpet padding, aluminum and wood fencing, and household furniture and appliances should be placed curbside in separate piles, apart from the household garbage and trash.
Area emergency management officials are continuing their preparations in advance of Hurricane Delta’s arrival on the Louisiana Gulf coast Friday.... read more