WARREN COUNTY ELECTION TRACKER: Supervisor challengers, Tax Collector challenger enter race
Published 5:58 pm Monday, January 30, 2023
The deadline to submit qualifying documents to run for county or state office is Wednesday, and three more candidates filed on Monday.
Pam Durman filed to run for Warren County Tax Collector on the Democratic ticket. Durman will face candidate Amanda Battle, also a Democrat, in the Aug. 8 Primary Election.
Two challengers for Warren County Supervisor also filed to run for election. John Carlisle submitted qualifying documents for the District 4 Supervisor position. Carlisle, running on the Independent ticket, will face incumbent Supervisor Dr. Jeffery Holland.
Email newsletter signup
Later on Monday, John Michael Allen submitted qualifying documents to run for District 5 Supervisor as a Republican. Allen will face incumbent Supervisor Kelle Barfield.
In Warren County, the candidates that have formally submitted documents to qualify for election as of Jan. 30 are:
Board of Supervisors
- Edward Herring, District 1 (Republican)
- David Allen Pugh, District 1 (Republican)*
- Stan Collins, District 1 (Independent)*
- William Banks, District 2 (Democratic)
- Shawn Jackson, District 3 (Democratic)
- Jeffery Pack Holland, District 4 (Independent)
- John Carlisle, District 4 (Independent)*
- Kelle Barfield, District 5 (Independent)
- John Michael Allen, District 5 (Republican)*
- Troy Kimble, Central District (Independent)
- John Heggins, Southern District, (Independent)
- Glenn McKay, Northern District (Independent)
- Jeff Riggs (Independent)*
- Martin Pace (Independent)
Justice Court Judge
- James E. Jefferson Jr., Central District (Democratic)
- Jeffrey Crevitt, Southern District (Independent)
- Randy Lewis, Northern District (Independent)
- Doug Huskey (Independent)
Warren County Election Commission
- Sara Carlson Dionne, District 4 (Independent)
- Danielle Pooney Chin, District 2 (Independent)*
- Bobbie Bingham Morrow, District 2 (Independent)
Other County Offices
- Jan Hyland Daigre, Circuit Clerk (Republican)
- Beverly Johnson, Chancery Clerk (Republican)
- Ben Luckett, Tax Assessor (Republican)
- Tracie Herring, County Prosecutor (Independent)*
- Amanda Battle, Tax Collector (Democrat)*
- Pam Durman, Tax Collector (Democrat)*
- Kevin Ford, House District 54 (Warren, Yazoo and Issaquena), Republican
- Briggs Hopson III, Senate District 23 (Warren, Yazoo and Issaquena), Republican
- Oscar Denton, House District 55 (Warren), Democrat
The dates to submit candidate qualifying documents are Jan. 3 through Feb. 1 at 5 p.m. For more information about the paperwork needed, potential candidates can either go online to the Secretary of State’s website: https://www.sos.ms.gov/elections-voting or go to the Circuit Clerk’s Office, located on the second floor of the Warren County Courthouse.
For those choosing to run with the Democratic or Republican parties, the primary elections are on Aug. 8, 2023. If runoffs are necessary, they will be on Aug. 29.
The General Election is Nov. 7.
Mississippi state statute requires a majority (50 percent plus one) of votes to win statewide or state district offices. Senate and House seats are not included in this new law. If a runoff is needed for those offices, that will take place on Nov. 28.