Speed Street shooting suspect in custody
A 17-year-old Vicksburg teenager wanted for shooting a man on Speed Street Aug. 23 has been arrested.
Isaiah Jamal Leshun Smith, who gave an address of 1718 Locust St., was arrested without incident about 8:58 a.m. Thursday at 210 Meadowvale St. Police had gone to the address to serve a warrant charging him with aggravated assault in the shooting that wounded Desmond Taylor.
Smith is being held without bail in the Madison County Jail pending an initial appearance in Municipal Court Friday.
At the time of the shooting, he was out on $100,000 bond on a charge of aggravated assault-extreme indifference and shooting into a dwelling in a July 17 incident in which a man was wounded while sitting in his car.
Smith is accused of shooting Taylor in the leg during an argument at a house in the 800 block of Speed Street.
According to reports, witnesses said Smith pulled up to the house in a gold 2011 Nissan Altima. He entered the Speed Street house and argued with Taylor before shooting him.
Taylor was taken by ambulance to Merit Health River Region for treatment.
In other cases:
• A gas stove was reported missing about 2:19 p.m. Wednesday from a vacant house in the 100 block of Drusilla Lane.
• Shots were reported fired about 3:04 a.m. Wednesday in the area of James Stirgus Sr. and Dot streets. Nothing was found.
• Shots were reported fired about 2:52 p.m. Wednesday in the area of Melrose Avenue. Nothing was found.
• Shots were reported fired about 10:06 p.m. Wednesday at First North and Grove streets, nothing was found.
• Sixty pills of the drug clonazepam, which is used to treat seizures, and $4 were reported taken about 10:52 p.m. Wednesday from a home in the 700 block of National Street.